These vegan + gluten free oat-based scones are your next morning/afternoon treat!
If you're a chocolate lover like me you will definitely love them - I mean, chocolate with a subtle hint of chai flavour + choc chips + choc sauce drizzle on top!! Tested and tried different recipes and I finally got it right! High in fibre, low in sugar, perfectly crusty on the outside and moist in the middle, what else can you ask for? Enjoy!
- 2 ½ cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup N+N Chai Drinking Chocolate
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil or vegan butter, room temperature, NOT melted (for fat free version, sub the oil with 1/2 cup of mashed banana: this will yield a drier and chewier texture when cold, so best served warm/freshly baked)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond/soy/coconut milk
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips of choice
- Preheat the oven to 175C
- In a high speed blender/processor blend the rolled oats into oat flour.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add in N+N Chai Drinking Chocolate, baking powder, vanilla, salt, and lemon juice. Mix briefly to combine.
- Add the coconut oil (or chilled banana). Use your hands to work it in until the texture is crumbly with small pebble-sized pieces.
- Add half of the milk and briefly knead the dough. Add the rest of the milk slowly until you have a slightly sticky dough. Do not overwork it, knead with fingertips just until combined.
- Shape the dough into a circle, cut into 8 triangles and transfer to a lined baking pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown on the edges.
- Remove from the pan, cool briefly, and then enjoy plain or with chocolate sauce drizzled or spread of choice!