Warm your belly this autumn with healthy banana bread
Now that's what you call comfort on a plate. Warmed slightly, it will be the snack you have been searching for alongside a nice warm cup of hot chocolate.
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 3 Tbsp water
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free flour
- 1/2 cups N+N Organic Drinking Chocolate (We used original but any variety works)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup vegan butter or coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp rice malt syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup soy milk (or preferred)
- 1/2 tsp coconut sugar, for topping
- Vegan chocolate chips for topping
- Pre-heat your oven to 190ºC.
- Mix the ground flax seeds and water together. Allow it sit for 15 minutes to thicken.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl, combine the flour, drinking chocolate, baking powder and salt. Stir mixture until well combined.
- In a separate bowl mash the ripe bananas until they form a purée. Then add the vanilla extract, melted vegan butter, soy milk, coconut sugar, rice malt syrup and the flax seed mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Add the wet mixture to dry ingredients and carefully fold together until just combined, do not over mix.
- Pour the mixture into an 8 x 4-inch greased bread pan. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon coconut sugar and place vegan chocolate chips
- Bake the bread at 190ºC for approximately 50-55 mins. Stick a long skewer in the centre to check if it's done. It should come out relatively clean when the bread has cooked. Once removed from the oven, allow bread to cool out of the pan on a rack before cutting.