A twist on the traditional Banoffee Pies - with a crunchy buckwheat shortcrust and creamy chocolate Banoffee centre
These are healthy treats without making you feel bloated afterwards but let you indulge in the chocolate dream at the same time! Plus the are gluten free, dairy free and low in sugar.
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp buckwheat flour, plus more for dusting & kneading
- 2 tbsp
- 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil (cold, solid form)
- 4 tbsp cold water
Chocolate Banoffee Filling:
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 2 tbsp chocolate spread
- In a mixing bowl stir together buckwheat flour and N+N Drinking Chocolate
- Add in coconut oil and crumble together with hands until it forms a lumpy, dry breadcrumb like mixture.
- Add 1 tbsp cold water at a time and mix together with hands. Keep adding water and mixing until the dough is sticky, but firm. Dust with flour, knead into a ball and then form into a flat disc and place in fridge for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the Banoffee filling by mixing together the mashed banana and chocolate Spread on low heat. Turn off heat once they are well combined and let cool. The mixture will thicken up once cooled.
- Preheat oven to 180oC. Take the dough out of the fridge and roll the dough on a flat surface to 0.2cm thick, and cut into 5cm x 2.5cm rectangles. The dough should be able to form 12 rectangles.
- For each tart take about 1.5 tsp of filling and place in the middle of a rectangle, then top with another layer of rectangle. Seal the edges with a fork and prick the surface of each tart with a fork to allow steam to escape while baking. Pop the tarts to the fridge for another 15minutes before baking.
- Bake tarts in a preheated oven for 10-15mins or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Let cool for 10 minutes and dust with icing sugar. Serve warm.