Hygge is a Danish term which is pronounced “hue-guh” and is translated as coziness, creating a warm atmosphere that leads to a feeling of contentment or wellbeing.
‘Hygge is the feeling you get when you are cuddled up on a sofa with a loved one, in warm knitted socks, in front of the fire, when it is dark, cold and stormy outside.’ – Meik Wiking.
Despite the fact that Danish winters are long and dark, the Danes rate as one of the happiest nations in the world. Surely their hygge practises have something to do with that.
Since it is winter in the southern hemisphere, and we are also globally dealing with the strange situation of COVID which doesn’t seem to be going away anytime soon, we are all spending more time at home than we ever thought we would. If we are stuck at home, we may as well make it a pleasant space to be in, right? Let’s make it as cozy and inviting as possible. Enter the magic of Hygge.
We understand hygge to be about breaking up the mundane with the simple act of lighting a candle or making a hot drink. It is about creating and cultivating a sense of slowing down and being present, and also the feelings of contentment and comfort.
Simple tips to hygge your life:
- Enjoy the simple pleasures of life, like a hot drink (N+N hot chocolate of course) and a book while snuggled up under a warm blanket.
- Enjoy slow cooked foods such as soups, stews, casseroles.
- Spend time in nature, and bring nature indoors with indoor plants.
- Put electronic devices aside and spend time with your family.
- Dim the lights and light plenty of candles.
- Soften your surroundings with blankets and pillows to create a cozy atmosphere.
We hope this helps to inspire you to get cozy and enjoy your time indoors. Stay safe out there everybody.
Head to the website to check out Nib and Noble organic Drinking Chocolate, Chocolate Spread or Bulk Powders like Organic Raw Cacao Powder, Unrefined Coconut Sugar or 100% Natural Xylitol Sweetener.